Tuesday, January 1, 2013

OK so I am reading two books on Ricky Nelson at the same time.  One is called Ricky Nelson: Idol For a Generation by Joel Selvin, the other is Lonesome Town The Real Story Of "America's Favorite Family" by Jim Brady.  Both are out of print and seem to tend to the gossip side of things.  Yet when it comes to celebs most will be that way.  I am probably in the minority of Ricky fans who like Lonesome Town better.  I like almost all who have lived decades past their favorite celebs death wish for them to have had one more day here.  I wonder what Rick would think of the technology that is out there.  I know he would be proud of his kids.  I still get mad when I think of people trying to blame the crash on drugs.  The people who knew Rick seem to have been made better people just by being present at some point in his life.  For those of us who never knew him, we along with those who loved him in the flesh at least have his songs.  I tend to gravitate towards his stuff from the 70's when he was writing a lot of his own songs.  They above all else tell us we all lost a man of great intelligence and compassion.  I just know that when I have a bad day his voice will always be there to sooth frayed nerves.  I hope that with his son's Sam efforts to bring the Adventures out that he may reach the next generation. Until then I'll say a prayer for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment